Friday, March 25, 2011

Resolution Foods, #3 Chayote



What in the world is this crazy food I found? As I was walking through the produce section at my commissary I came across this vegetable, at least I assumed it was a vegetable it was sandwiched between the peppers and the cucumbers. For a whopping $0.69 and a resolution to keep, how could I resist? After google-ing, I learned that Chayote is a gourd that can be eaten raw or cooked. It is also full of amino acids and vitamin C. How could I go wrong? I elected to cook it after tasting it and finding it to be quite bland, though it would be a nice crunchy addition to any salad.
After cutting it open and slicing it up, I just had to taste it. I agree with the Internet on the bland flavor and would say that it has a texture of a pear and apple combined. IT wasn't bad, but I wouldn't want a bowl full of it either. After reading may recipes I decided to treat it like summer squash. I sauteed it up with some garlic, salt, pepper, and a little bit of red chili flakes for heat.

It was scrumptious! It had a slightly sweet taste to it and paired well with my salmon (even it my plate wasn't as colorful as I usually like). This may just become a more regular part of my diet!







No comments:

Post a Comment