Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas Leftovers...Day 1

What do you do when 5/6 of your guests don't show up? You eat leftovers...lots of them. It can get quite frustrating and boring though, as I quite honestly am not a big fan of eating the same meal 2 days in a row. I actually purposely schedule a leftover day for 2 days later so that I don't have to do that. My taste buds easily bore.

My dilemma as I cooked for 10 extra adults and only had myself and my husband to eat what was made is how to deal with the leftovers and still have them fresh. Yes, there is always the freezer, but really...who wants to relive the same leftovers for over a month...because, yes, I do have that many leftovers (and I still have Thanksgiving Turkey in my freezer)!

Tonight I tackled the beef and cheese that were actually eaten on Christmas. I added to it a baguette and sugar peas that were to be eaten on Christmas, but I ended up not cooking them (that way they would be fresh later on when we would eat them). So steamed peas, my favorite, and really better fresh anyhow and open faced sammies :)

I toasted up the baguette that I sliced on the bias with a little EVOO (I'm a huge Rachael Ray fan if you can't tell). I then rubbed the toast with a clove of garlic, which gives you an amazing garlic bread if you've never tried it, and topped it with some freshly grated Gruyere cheese (I made these as an appetizer/side roll, and they were amazing!!!). Melted that for about 10 minutes and put some shaved beef on top of the cheese. Then we could top as we liked, though I am a big fan of plain.

Let me just say that these were so yummy that I'm tempted to freeze the rest of the beef and bring it out again for my son's birthday party in this form...seriously...that good!

This method would work with any of your Christmas leftovers (though if you eat ham I would probably leave off the garlic...just trust me on this one, garlic + ham is not a happy mouth combo).

The rest of my roasted veggies were frozen and will probably be making a re-appearance in the very near future...

No comments:

Post a Comment