Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sandtarts

Break out the cookie cutters! I have a recipe and kid friendly activity for you!








Growing up, I have wonderful memories of making these delicious sugary, buttery cookie. I mean what's better than butter and sugar and cookie cutters? Absolutely nothing in my opinion (okay maybe chocolate). These cookies scream Christmas to me. Every year it gives me an excuse to break out my Grandma's old cookie cutters and play with sprinkles and colored sugars.

It's funny how as I grew older I fought and resisted decorating these cookies. Yet, they are one of my favorite Christmas Cookie. I have so many memories surrounding the messes that I would make. I remember the detail I would put into putting the sanding sugars onto the cookies and how by the end my fingers would be an ugly brown/gray from the mixing of all the dyes on them. My sister and I would make the biggest messes in the world, and fight over who got to make the purple snowman. And now that I'm all grown up, I still throw some purple snowmen and green teddy bears into my cookies. I can't wait to share this cookie with Bubba next year, and to clean up his sugary mess.

Warning to the cookie dough eater: This dough is addicting. Yes, I know it has raw eggs in it, but I'll be honest, I cannot resist cookie dough. Actually, I can't resist cake batter, brownie batter, frosting... Well, I'm sure you get the idea.




Sandtarts



2 sticks butter (must use the real thing)

2 cups granulated sugar

3 eggs

4 cups flour





Cream together butter and sugar.

Add eggs one at a time.

Slowly add flour.

Divide dough and shape into disks and refrigerate for at least 3 hours (dough can be frozen, use dough within 3 days if not frozen...can make at Christmas freeze until Easter and have Easter cookies).

Roll dough out to desired thickness.


Use cookie cutters to cut out the desired shapes.

Brush with egg wash (use whites only or else your cookies get a yellow tinge). Decorate with sugar, sprinkles and jimmies.Place on ungreased cookie sheet (though the use of parchment paper will make your life so much easier!)and bake at 350-375 for about 10 minutes.


Cool and store in a tin or plastic. They are irresistible!

This is a family recipe, any resemblance to a printed recipe is coincidental.

No comments:

Post a Comment