Saturday, December 11, 2010

Gifts


Do you have someone in your life who is tough to buy gifts for? I know I do. I'll be honest, it's my in-laws. They have everything they need and want (they helped us unpack as we were moving and constantly made comments on how I should get rid of my kitchen gadgets...hmmm....). This leaves me in a bit of a predicament. I would love to get them, fun Christmas Plates or some decorations, but I also know that they would not fully appreciate them.


Last year, Hubs and I came across the answer. Everyone in his family, and anyone who we didn't fully know what to get got something from Heifer Project International. Never heard of them? Let me tell you about them :)


Heifer project works with communities in underprivileged countries to end poverty and hunger. They give the gifts of livestock so that the people can work to help their communities. A cow not only provides milk, but can be bred to produce more cows, and can someday be eaten. Not only do they give cows, sheep, and pigs, but also fish and honeybees.


If you do not have the funds to buy a whole cow (I know I don't) you can buy a portion of a cow. They give you a card to then give to whoever you bought the gift for saying that you made a donation of whatever you bought in honor of them. It's a winwin situation. My family doesn't get more "stuff" and a family who needs it gets some goats.


If you'd like more information go to their website http://www.heifer.org/.


I have not been compensated in any way for this post. I feel that during this season of giving it is important to give back to the community and world around us. It's what Jesus would have us do.

No comments:

Post a Comment